JPR provides pre-planning, architectural, and engineering services for this prominent northern Indiana grocer. Operating 21 stores in two states, Martin’s is always improving its brand through image updates, new stores, and new markets. Due to this, redevelopment of the Jackson Street store in Elkhart was a priority for Martin’s because of its size, age, and facility location.
As an under-performing and aged shopping center, redevelopment of the site and store was especially problematic. One example was that the existing store remained open during construction, requiring the relocation of multiple small businesses. Careful planning and a carefully managed partnership with the City was critical.
As a consultant to Martin’s, JPR assisted in multiple ways while providing an integral link between partners. Project features included:
• A new 42,000-square-foot supermarket
• New parking features and pedestrian linkages
• Thematic lighting
• Landscape improvements designed to integrate with streetscape concepts
• Acquisition of up to five properties
• Relocation of multiple small businesses including a national chain drug store, full-service restaurant, and ethnic foods store
• Abandonment of a city street
• Utility relocations
• New managed access features
• New corridor compliant signage